The following marriage preparation programs have been developed to help you come to a deeper appreciation of the uniqueness that is a Christian Marriage and to prepare you as a couple for this lifelong commitment.
At St. Joseph, we require all couples to attend and/or complete:
- Marriage Preparation Information Session
- Initial Interview by Clergy
- Fully Engaged Premarital Inventory
- And two of the following:
- Pre-Cana or Cana II
- Mentor Couple Program
- Engaged Encounter
- Today-Tomorrow-Forever (for Validation couples)
- Natural Family Planning
- Pastoral Follow-Up Interview by Clergy
Diocese Marriage Preparation Programs information page
for details on the Cana programs and Engaged Encounter. It is the Couple’s responsibility to register for and attend these programs. These programs have limited space and are in demand, so schedule early with alternative dates in mind.
The Marriage Preparation Programs offered through St. Joseph Catholic Parish include the following:
MARRIAGE PREPARATION INFORMATION SESSION
Both you and your fiancée are required to attend the Marriage Preparation Information Session. This session, scheduled for the 3
Monday of every month at 7:00 PM, is the first step in the couple’s preparation for marriage. The session will provide an overview of the Sacrament of Marriage, requirements for Marriage in the Catholic Church, and the Marriage Preparation process. The Couple will also fill out a Profile Questionnaire, a Pre-Marital Inventory Questionnaire, and will have the opportunity to ask questions related to their upcoming marriage.
INITIAL INTERVIEW AND PASTORAL FOLLOW-UP INTERVIEW BY CLERGY
The Initial Interview and the Pastoral Follow-Up Interview are conducted by the Pastor or other member of the St. Joseph Clergy (priest/deacon) to:
- Determine the Couple’s eligibility according to civil law.
- Determining the Couple’s eligibility according to Catholic Church law.
- Explain the marriage preparation process.
- Set a provisional date for the wedding.
- Ensure the Couple’s proper preparation and readiness for marriage.
To assure adequate time for marriage preparation, couples planning to marry need to contact the parish 9 to 12 months prior to the provisional date of the wedding.
FULLY ENGAGED PREMARITAL INVENTORY
The Fully Engaged Premarital Inventory is designed to facilitate open and honest discussion on important marital issues. It explores basic expectations and skills in communication and problem-solving and attempts to sharpen exploration on other key issues: couple compatibility/match, interfaith marriages, two career families, and second-marriages. This questionnaire will be given to each couple separately at the Marriage Preparation Information session
FULLY ENGAGED MENTOR COUPLE PROGRAM
The Mentor Couple Program is provided through St. Joseph parish and utilizes the Fully Engaged Premarital Assessment and Fully Engaged Workbooks. It is designed to:
- Strengthen the Couple’s commitment to Christ and each other
- Familiarize the Couple with the richness of the Catholic tradition of marriage
- Identify the Couple’s strengths and areas needing growth
- Encourage involvement in parish life
- Address topics of special interest: family life and children, contraception, infertility and adoption.
Each engaged couple will be assigned a married Mentor Couple to assist them with their marriage preparation. The program is usually completed over a five to six week period with one meeting per week. Meetings usually last from 1 ½ - 2 hours. Preparation work for each meeting will be required.